Sophia completed her Masters in Physical Therapy at the University of Toronto and her Diploma in Manual and Manipulative Therapy from the Canadian Physiotherapy Association. She is Campbell River's only certified Sports Physiotherapist and is passionate about ongoing professional education to update her knowledge. Most recently she completed her IMS (Intramuscular Stimulation, or Dry Needling) training at UBC.
Sophia is a Clinical Faculty Instructor with the UBC Masters of Physical Therapy program. She has over 20 years of experience as a physiotherapist and previously owned a physiotherapy clinic in North Vancouver. She brought the one-on-one model of physiotherapy care to Campbell River when she founded Active Living Physiotherapy in 2012.
Sophia has a special interest in treating endurance athletes (runners, cyclists, triathletes, swimmers, Nordic skiers) and pre- and post-partum women. She provides bike fit and video gait assessments.
In her spare time Sophia is a volunteer coach for the River Runners running club. She enjoys nordic skiing, swimming and biking and still has energy to chase after her twin boys. Sophia combines her clinical skills and sport experience to work with clients to enable them to pursue their passions injury-free.
- Bachelor of Physical and Health Education (1999)
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy (1999)
- Master of Science in Physical Therapy (2005)
- Certificate of Advanced Manual & Manipulative Physiotherapy(2006)
- Diploma of Advanced Manual & Manipulative Physiotherapy (2008)
- Sport Physiotherapy Certificate (2009)
- Over 15 years experience treating a variety of orthopaedic, sports, pre-and post-partum and arthritic populations
- Previous owner of a successful physiotherapy clinic in North Vancouver
- Clinical Faculty Instructor at UBC Faculty of Medicine Department of Physical Therapy (instructing students in Masters of Physical Therapy program)
- Over 5 years experience performing video gait analysis for runners to optimize performance and prevent injuries
- Physiotherapist at various international, national, and local triathlon, cycling, skiing, running, track and field, figure skating, ultimate frisbee, lacrosse, and rugby events
Continuing Education Courses
- UBC Gunn IMS (2021)
- Scoliosis Management (2017)
- Understanding Gait - from a neurological and orthopaedic perspective (2013)
- Treatment of the abdominal wall after pregnancy (2012)
- New advances in hip rehabilitation (2011)
- Bike fit course (2008)
- New trends in the prevention of running injuries (2008)
- Rehabilitation of the runner (2008)
- Ironman Canada 2002 finisher (sub-12 hour)
- Completed 50K skate ski race "The Payak" in Whistler 2019
- Competed at World Masters Cup Nordic Skiing event 2011
- 10K personal best time of 43:51 and First Place (female division) Miracle Beach 10K 2011
- First Place, Best Physiotherapist, Reader's Choice Awards, 2018 and 2019, Runner up 2020
Registered Physiotherapist, Clinic Owner
MScPT, BPHE, Certified in Spinal Manipulation, Gunn IMS Practitioner, Sports Physiotherapy Certificate
Photo Credit: RAD Media